January 18, 2011

Steve Jobs is again taking a Medical Leave

In a memo released today, and spotted by TechCrunch, Steve Jobs has announced to his employees that he will be taking a leave of absence due to medical reasons. In his absence, Tim Cook will take the reigns at Apple once more, having previously lead the company in 2009 during Steve's battle with liver problems.

During his absence, Steve Jobs will continue his position as CEO, and plans to remain involved in major strategic decisions for the company.

It is unclear at this time what health problems he faces, but in the past he has battled pancreatic cancer, and liver failure, and returned to continue driving Apple's growth in the industry.

The memo sent to all Apple employees reads:

Team,

At my request, the board of directors has granted me a medical leave of absence so I can focus on my health. I will continue as CEO and be involved in major strategic decisions for the company.

I have asked Tim Cook to be responsible for all of Apple’s day to day operations. I have great confidence that Tim and the rest of the executive management team will do a terrific job executing the exciting plans we have in place for 2011.

I love Apple so much and hope to be back as soon as I can. In the meantime, my family and I would deeply appreciate respect for our privacy.

Steve

No comments: